Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The trouble with take-out

Sometimes I get a craving for some yummy Indian food. I usually order Saag Chana, which is chickpeas and spinach curry. I make this dish myself at home and it yields pretty good results glucose-wise. Chickpeas are a low glycemic carbohydrate and spinach is full of vitamins and when cooked very noninflammatory. So why does this get all thrown out the window when I order it from the restaurant? Well, even when I turn down the accompanying rice, they include Naan, and insist on  one of the "free" appetizers, ahem, vegetable dumplings. These additions make it a very carb heavy meal, taking it from 45grams of carbs for one cup of curry to 86grams with curry, naan, and two fried dumplings. I've learned that the higher the carb load the less accurate my carb to insulin ratio, which means it takes even more insulin exponentially to break down large amounts of carbs eaten at once then smaller portions paired with vegetables, protein or a good fat.
My glucose went embarrassingly high after this meal (even after a big bolus (meal-time insulin dose)). Lesson learned: Resist the guy at the counter's (and the norm of the American diet) suggestions and skip the added carbs and limit it to the chickpeas only.

No comments:

Post a Comment